A message from OPSEU/SEFPO’s Insurance provider, RGI Group:
Have you ever been involved in a motor vehicle accident? No one wants it to happen to them but the reality is that it might happen to you. If it does, being prepared for what happens directly after the accident is important.
Immediately after the accident:
- Stop your vehicle immediately.
- Check to see if anyone is injured.
- If it is safe to do so, get out of your vehicle. Take pictures of the scene and the damage.
- If you are able to, move your car off of the road. If you can’t move it, turn on your hazard lights.
- Call the police, if:
- There are injuries.
- The total damage to all vehicles involved appears to be more than $2,000.
- You suspect any drivers involved may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Within 24 hours of the accident:
- Call a collision reporting centre, instead of the police, if:
- There are no injuries.
- Total damage to all vehicles appears to be less than $2,000.
- You will be asked to complete a police report, and the damage to your vehicle will be photographed. You will need to provide this documentation to your insurance company.
- Call your insurance company.
- We recommend never admitting fault to the accident.
- Our team will be with you every step of the claims process.
This content is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing, financial, medical or legal advice. You should contact your attorney, doctor, broker or advisor to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.
RGI’s team of insurance professionals is standing by to answer your call. If you have questions about your insurance, we invite you to call us and speak to one of our team members.
We are available Monday to Friday, 9am until 4:30pm.
Toll Free: 833.90.GROUP