- Case counts as of March 16, 2020:
- China: 80,860 cases; 3,213 deaths
- Asia & Oceania: 12,055 cases; 136 deaths (South Korea – 75)
- Europe: 63,446 cases; 2,763 deaths (Italy – 2,158)
- Middle East: 16,655 cases; 868 deaths (Iran – 853)
- Africa: 371 cases; 7 deaths
- Latin America and Caribbean: 713 cases; 5 deaths
- North America: 4,507 cases
- United States – 4,171 cases; 70 deaths
- Canada – 336 cases; 4 deaths (all deaths are in British Columbia)
- 32 new cases were reported today in Ontario, bringing the cumulative total to 177 (this includes 5 resolved cases).
· In Ontario, there are 1537 persons under investigation with lab results pending.
- Working closely with Telehealth Ontario, Ontario Health and the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario, the province has announcedit is expanding TeleHealth service capacity to help address the increased daily call volumes and reduce call wait times.
- The Federal Government announced a number of new measures today including:
- Canada will be closing its borders to foreign travellers. Exceptions will be made for air crews, diplomats, immediate family members and U.S. citizens.
- Airlines will ban anyone who is showing symptoms of the virus from getting on a plane.
- All international flights will be redirected to one of four airports in Canada (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary).
- The Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health announced additional public health measures during today’s press conference. Further details will be provided.
- Guidance for pharmacies has been updated and is available on theMinistry of Health’s website. Additional guidance documents will follow tomorrow.
- A summary of today’s Command Table meeting: DM OH CMOH memo COVID19 update March 16 2020.
Ministry of Health | Health System Emergency Management Branch
Visit https://www.opseu.org/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19/ for more information on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), including situation reports and related news.